Monday, February 27, 2012

Day 1: Vegan Burger


Hello! 
I have decided to go vegan for 30 days starting today. My purpose is to inform people that going vegan can be fun, tasty, and healthy. I know those meat eaters and dairy lovers are thinking this girl must be insane, but it is not as hard as you think. I am currently a vegetarian, which could make this challenge easier for me. I am a cheese lover though. That is where I get most of my protein now. I think this will still be hard, but this is a challenge I am willing to take to show that this can be creative and enjoyable. PLEASE, do not look at going vegan as taking two of your food groups out of your diet because these food groups are being replaced.

 I will start my vegan adventure by trying recipes every other day for lunch and dinner that my own family uses. I will post the recipes and let you guys know how it turned out. I will also include some healthy tips to keep in mind especially if you want to re-create these recipes.

I think this will be interesting for me since I have always been hesitant to try out this diet for health reasons. I am going to try to do this diet correctly and keep healthy at the same time.

FIRST RECIPE: Vegan & Vegetarian Black Bean Burger

Difficulty Level: EASY!! ( for all my followers that are beginners)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 can black beans, well drained
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 slices bread, crumbled
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying

Preparation:

Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.
In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth. Add sauteed onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well. Mixture will be thick.
Form bean mixture into patties, approximately ½ inch thick and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm. Make veggie burgers and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Servings: 6
Calories per serving: 294
Calories from Fat: 11
Total Fat: 1.2g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 25mg
Total Carbohydrates: 55.3g
Dietary Fiber:11.3g, 45% RDA
Protein: 16.8g
Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 10%, Iron 23%, based on a 2000 calorie diet

I GOT THIS RECIPE FROM THIS WEBSITE :
** I use this recipe all the time and it is easy to make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment